EQUIDEX contains Luprostiol, which is a synthetic prostaglandin (structurally similar to PGF2?). It causes regression of the corpus luteum, which is followed by return to oestrus & normal ovulation.
It has a number of uses in horses:
– Treating lactation anoestrus (oestrus & ovulation should occur 4-8 days after treatment)
– Inducing abortion- Mares can be treated from 1 week-5 months after mismating. Abortion should occur within 7 days of injection. Some cases, particularly those in later pregnancy, might require a second or third treatment.
– Ending persistent dioestrus (in mares, oestrous should happen within 5 days of treatment, then ovulation 2-4 days after)
– Establishng oestrous cycles in maiden or barren mares
– Inducing parturition (labour), in horses at least 330 days into their gestation. They must also have relaxed pelvic ligaments & a functioning udder with colostrum. After treatment, parturition should occur in a few hours.
This product requires a prescription from your vet & will only be dispatched once we receive this prescription.
Legal Category- POM-V
Warnings & Contraindications- Do not give intravenously to horses. Take care when administering as it can be absorbed through the skin & may cause bronchospasm or miscarriage. Avoid contact with skin & self-injection, if contact with the skin occurs, wash off immediately with soap & water.
Pregnancy & Lactation- Do not give to pregnant animals unless the intention is to cause abortion or parturition.
Passport Requirements- This medication cannot be used in horses intended for human consumption. Your vet must have signed Section 9 of your horse’s passport (or Section 2 for passports issued after 1st January 2016).
For further product information please click on the link below. This will take you to the Veterinary medicines directorate (VMD) website where you can search for the product and see the most up to date Summary of product characteristics (SPC). EQUIDEX contains Luprostiol, which is a synthetic prostaglandin (structurally similar to PGF2?). It causes regression of the corpus luteum, which is followed by return to oestrus & normal ovulation. EQUIDEX EQUIDEX EQUIDEX EQUIDEX EQUIDEX EQUIDEX EQUIDEX EQUIDEX EQUIDEX EQUIDEX EQUIDEX https://horsemedcare.com/